World Water Day 22 March 2011

.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for visiting my blog.

I acquired my passion for cycling only in the summer of 2010 whilst training for a London to Paris charity bike ride. I took inspiration from my Dad who cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 2007 and decided to take to the bike to help raise money for those less fortunate than me. I've always been involved in fundraising for various charities from a young age. I only recently came across WaterAid, a charity who help provide water and sanitation to those without. The statistic deeply shocked me and so I started from scratch and trained for the 300 mile cycle between two of the greatest capitals in the world.

In the space of a year I have gone from not particularly liking bikes to been a keen cyclist. Here is my journey!

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Qu'est-ce qu'un voyage!

Well this time two weeks ago I was well on my way to Dover. It's still all sinking in and I'm still buzzing from the experience. On the Monday before I  thought I was destined not to take part in the cycle. Going downstairs to my basement (I live in a large block of flats and we have underground parking for both cars and bikes) to clean my bike in preparation for the big challenge I discovered my beloved Baby Bianchi wasn't there, it broke my heart. Yes, somebody had stolen the bike my Dad had very generously given to me, the one I had trained on for eight months, the bike I had cycled on just 24 hours before. There were tears, lots of them, then panic. Luckily my Dad was kind enough to lend me his super expensive, super light weight bike. 

Unfortunately it was far too big and I could hardly reach the peddles. It had taken me eight months to get used to the large frame of my Bianchi but this bike was even bigger with wider handlebars and a very high seat stem. On Tuesday I got it straight to the JE James who were so understanding and also very concerned that I was about to cycle over 300 miles on a big evidently too large for my 5'3 frame. They all rallyed to call friends, employees anyone they knew with a bike to see if I could borrow one. Buying a brand new bike right there and then just wasn't an option and the only alternative was to make all the bike parts (handlebars, seat post and the handlebar stem) smaller and narrower. It cost me no more than it would have to hire a bike from Discover Adventure and I will sell the parts on, bonus! Tuesday was a long and draining day but I was so glad I was able to take.

I have started putting pictures and a summary for each day of the ride on the blog, each day has its own page. Over the next few days or so I will hopefully finish it so keep checking for updates. I will be updating the blog until I give WaterAid their final cheque and have a total fundraising figure. 

Keep spreading the word, share the link to the blog with friends and family and if anyone is thinking about taking part in the London to Paris cycle DO IT! I cannot recommend it enough, I really did have the time of my life. 

You still have time to donate to WaterAid at www.justgiving.com/cycleaid

No comments:

Post a Comment