World Water Day 22 March 2011

.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for visiting my blog.

I acquired my passion for cycling only in the summer of 2010 whilst training for a London to Paris charity bike ride. I took inspiration from my Dad who cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 2007 and decided to take to the bike to help raise money for those less fortunate than me. I've always been involved in fundraising for various charities from a young age. I only recently came across WaterAid, a charity who help provide water and sanitation to those without. The statistic deeply shocked me and so I started from scratch and trained for the 300 mile cycle between two of the greatest capitals in the world.

In the space of a year I have gone from not particularly liking bikes to been a keen cyclist. Here is my journey!

Monday 14 March 2011

World Water Day 22 March 2011


The United Nations General Assembly designated 22 March of each year as the World Day for Water and has been observed since 1993, in conformity with the recommendations of the UN Conference on Environment and Development contained in chapter 18 (Fresh Water Resources) of Agenda 21.

International World Water Day is held as a means of focusing attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.

Each year World Water Day highlights a specific aspect of freshwater. This year the focus is on "Water for Cities". Here are a few facts...

- One in four city residents worldwide, that's 794 million in total, lives without access to improved sanitation facilities.

- Every second the urban population grows by 2 people.

- 27% of the urban population in the developing world does not have piped water in it's houses.

- 493 million pele in cities share their sanitation facilities. In 1990 this number was 259 million.

- Lack of safe water and sanitation in cities leads to cholera, malaria and diarrhoea.

Events are taking place all around the world and you too can host a World Water Day event. Please click on the icons above or below to visit the official World Water Day website for more information. You could also dedicate your Facebook or Twitter updates to World Water Day so go spread the word!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment