World Water Day 22 March 2011

.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for visiting my blog.

I acquired my passion for cycling only in the summer of 2010 whilst training for a London to Paris charity bike ride. I took inspiration from my Dad who cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 2007 and decided to take to the bike to help raise money for those less fortunate than me. I've always been involved in fundraising for various charities from a young age. I only recently came across WaterAid, a charity who help provide water and sanitation to those without. The statistic deeply shocked me and so I started from scratch and trained for the 300 mile cycle between two of the greatest capitals in the world.

In the space of a year I have gone from not particularly liking bikes to been a keen cyclist. Here is my journey!

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Please Pledge Just £1

Eight months ago I was laughing and joking about cycling from London to Paris, having not been on a bike for years. Since then I have been on an incredible journey, learning so much about so many different things and never could I have imagined that I would be having such a great experience. 


Never before have I ever done anything like this but I can say for sure this will not be my last. The challenges I have been used to have been academic ones, using my brain to achieve. Over the last few months of training I have learnt there is another type of challenge, one which needs strength, stamina and resilience. A physical challenge is new to me and hard to master. I'm not going to lie, there have definitely been a few tantrums and tears along the way, in fact it's been quite the emotional roller-coaster. The feeling of  ecstasy once I've climbed up into the relentless Peak District is one I can't put into words.


From time to time though I forget that "I" am not the only reason I'm doing this. My aim was to raise £2,000 for WaterAid. Women in Africa and Asia commonly have to carry 20kg of water on their heads over unimaginable long distances. This, thankfully, is a physical challenge I will never have to endure and I wish no-one else had to either. Water is a basic human need however, there are still 1 in 8 of the world's population who do not have access to safe, clean drinking water.


All I ask of you, as a supporter, is to take a few minutes watching the video below and to pledge £1 (or as much as you can afford) to WaterAid and help End Water Poverty.


To pledge £1 please click on the link www.justgiving.com/cycleaid


Thank you 



No comments:

Post a Comment