World Water Day 22 March 2011

.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for visiting my blog.

I acquired my passion for cycling only in the summer of 2010 whilst training for a London to Paris charity bike ride. I took inspiration from my Dad who cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 2007 and decided to take to the bike to help raise money for those less fortunate than me. I've always been involved in fundraising for various charities from a young age. I only recently came across WaterAid, a charity who help provide water and sanitation to those without. The statistic deeply shocked me and so I started from scratch and trained for the 300 mile cycle between two of the greatest capitals in the world.

In the space of a year I have gone from not particularly liking bikes to been a keen cyclist. Here is my journey!

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Going solo?

After a couple of weeks break (due to exams) I got back to training last weekend. I had a lovely cycle through Rotherham but definitely found it a hard slog. I really do struggle with hills at the best of times but was a little worried I was going to roll down them backwards on Sunday! I decided I needed to step up the training and I really have got into cycling so I brought my bike home with me. I have been keeping the bike in Rotherham at my Dads house because I train with him and he has a turbo trainer I've been using. I thought it would be a great idea to cycle to work, it's the perfect distance and there are plenty of cycle lanes to keep me safe. I stocked up on my own supplies of tools, puncture kits, inner tubes you name it I made sure I had it. I've never cycled by myself before so just wanted to make sure I was prepared for every and any situation. I took the plunge on Tuesday, taking practically the whole of Monday to psyche myself up for the journey. My heart was beating so fast for the first few hundred yards but then I started really enjoying myself until......my tyre suddenly went "pop!" Not a situation I was prepared for so I ended up pushing g my bike home and driving in the end, but at least I tried I keep telling myself. It looks as though I need a completely new tyre which is a bit of a pain because I can't use my bike until that is sorted. As soon as it is though I shall be going again and hopefully next time I'll make it all the way to work.


Please check out my new pages. There is more information on WaterAid, the charity I am raising money for and Discover Adventure, the organisers of the London to Paris cycle. 


Stay safe on the roads x

No comments:

Post a Comment