World Water Day 22 March 2011

.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for visiting my blog.

I acquired my passion for cycling only in the summer of 2010 whilst training for a London to Paris charity bike ride. I took inspiration from my Dad who cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 2007 and decided to take to the bike to help raise money for those less fortunate than me. I've always been involved in fundraising for various charities from a young age. I only recently came across WaterAid, a charity who help provide water and sanitation to those without. The statistic deeply shocked me and so I started from scratch and trained for the 300 mile cycle between two of the greatest capitals in the world.

In the space of a year I have gone from not particularly liking bikes to been a keen cyclist. Here is my journey!

Thursday 22 July 2010

Too Close for Comfort

On my cycle to work yesterday I was delighted the sun was shining and there wasn't a puddle in sight. A stark contrast to my previous commutes which usually ensured I was soaking wet. I was quite chuffed with myself happily cycling to work at 8am in the morning (it's like I don't know myself any more!) trying to ignore the lorries and buses whizzing by within an inch of my handle bars. Then my delight was cut short as I lost control on my bike due to a lorry getting far too close for comfort. He didn't knock me thank goodness, but the sheer shock of how close he came made me panic and as a result I came off my bike. Again thankfully I wasn't left sprawled across the road. There was an empty bus bay to my left so I kind of threw my bike into it whilst trying to jump off at the same time. 


No harm done in the end. I was just a little shaken but I managed to cycle the rest of the way to work. It was the first time I'd fallen off my bike and was hoping I never was, it does knock your confidence a bit. What makes me angry is how invisible I feel as a cyclist. Other motorists just don't care (well I would say 90% of them anyway) and would quite happily drive straight through you.


I have decided, for my own safety, to give cycling to work a miss for a while. My route is a busy one popular with lorries and the thought of coming off again at rush hour, but next time not being so lucky and ending up in the middle of a road just doesn't seem worth it. I'll keep training but cycle after the traffic has died down and chose quieter roads.


Ending on a good note I have nearly raised £1,000 for WaterAid so far. Thank you to all of you who have sponsored me, I really do appreciate it. It makes all this drama worth while knowing that people will gain access to clean, safe drinking water due to the generosity of my supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment